Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cool-Ranch Dynamite....

Cool-Ranch Chick Peas...

I found this recipe on a friend's FB post, and they were too good not to share...

The original credit goes to Amanda of Pickles & Honey who was guest blogging for Jackie on Vegan Yack Attack. I do not know either of these individuals personally. It just so happened that I had a pan full of freshly cooked chick peas draining when Karen posted the link to the recipe on FB, and Cool Ranch Doritos were my absolute favorite snack ever as a kid... so I have to say Amanda nailed the flavor combination... I did, as always make a few changes to her recipe in part because I decided to make this recipe with what I had on hand in the cabinet.... unfortunately in winter there were no fresh herbs in the garden and none on hand in the fridge...

Ingredients
  • 3 cups cooked chick peas
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons roasted garlic salt (homemade from the recipe by Lauren at YumSugar)
  • 1-2 teaspoon dried dill (I lost track somewhere in there)
  • 1super heaping teaspoon dried chives
  • 1 heaping teaspoon dried parsley
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Mix it all together.
  3. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet or two.
  4. Depending on how much crunch you like, how dark your baking pan is, etc., roast for 50 minutes... stir after 20, 15, and 10 and then keep checking in 5 minute increments until they are done... it is not an exact science...
These were so go - I had enough chick peas to make a triple batch. I have a bunch in the fridge for salads and soups for the rest of the week. Tonight I tossed some on a bowl of (leftover) tomato veggie soup. They had the most amazing flavor on their own and added excellent depth to the tomato soup. I'm thinking of tossing EVERYTHING in this herb combination... potato wedges, tofu, tempeh, whatever else I can find in my pantry... it was outstanding.

I often roast chick peas closer to 400 degrees F, so you can play around with the roasting temperature and time frame - it is the herb combination you won't ever want to forget!

-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment