Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Canning Local Caramel Apple Jam



My first guest blog, but I thought my attempt at canning local apple caramel jam was worthy! We have been apple, pear, peach, and qunice picking several times in the last couple of years at Rocky Brook Orchard. They have a wide variety of apples and you get to roam through the orchards and select your own. We never leave with less than half a bushel (20+ pounds). So, I thought this would be my opportunity to attempt home canning. A while back, I picked up a canning kit because I knew I wanted to try it out . . . so last night I found myself starring at the apples and decided to dive into the process. It seemed fairly successful! This morning T (he's 3) and I had some local homemade pumpkin bread topped with local caramel apple jam. He asked for seconds. And, the best part is, there are six more jars to share or eat throughout the year! :-)

-K


- - - - Ready to cook - - - - - - -Cooking down - - - - - - - Sticky caramel jam!



- -Water bath canning - - - - - Finished jam - - - - - - - - Sample - - - - - - -


2 comments:

  1. awesome! r we getting some for the holidays???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends if there is any left ;-) I am planning some others . . . apple marmalade, mint . . . then there are these neat mixed herb jellies . . . but, yes, trying for all homemade gifts or consumables this year . . . and maybe some soccer pictures!

    ReplyDelete